Sunday, July 28, 2013

Graphite Experiment #2






I am preparing to start a piece in which I want to use powdered graphite because it will provide the right textural surface, and uniformity in value, for the object it will represent. The problem is how to use it well. So, I have been trying different ways to apply it, looking for consistency in both the medium and my own skill using it. I've learned a lot of new things to add to my "toolbox" and I would like to share them with you.
The sample above demonstrates use of masking and surface altering to add the powdered graphite. Each method produced some interesting results, for instance - PG applied directly to the paper produced a cool grey, PG applied over matte medium produced a warm grey. Erasing from the matte medium surface is easier than trying to clean a spot of PG that has been directly applied to the paper. These are important things to know before I jump in with the stuff and mess up my work (I really hate starting over!).
For this sample I worked on Bristol vellum, and used tracing paper to make a pattern for the mask; my tools included: General's Powdered Graphite; pencils - Derwent F, Tombow B and 4B; paper stump, facial tissue paper, 220 garnet sandpaper, taklon acrylic brush, and acrylic matte medium; electric eraser, kneaded eraser, crow feather (for cleaning after erasing); low tack masking paper, Xacto knife, cutting board; workable fixative. I think that's all I had on hand - if I forgot something here, it will be included in the captions.
If you are a process person, this can be fun! If you aren't this may be tedious. Either way, my idea is to push the graphite medium out a little further to enhance the expression of my work. Powdered graphite won't always be suitable for use but sometimes it might be exactly what is needed. My objective is to be able to use it well.


No comments:

Post a Comment